The staff at the Centre have created an entire set of 3D prints of the human body for teaching purposes. The method was recently described in their paper in Anatomical Sciences Education’ and already is the most cited paper on social media ever for that journal (as measured by ‘Altmetrics’).
About the Centre
The Centre for Human Anatomy Education (CHAE) has been established within the Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology to ensure that undergraduate and postgraduate human anatomy education at Monash is of the highest national and international standard. The role of the Centre includes:
- Ensuring that undergraduate and postgraduate anatomy education at Monash is of the highest international standard;
- Collaboration with end users to ensure that anatomy education is relevant to the discipline and efficiently delivered;
- Enhancement of existing approaches and development of novel approaches to anatomy education. The Centre will give particular emphasis to the development and use of IT resources;
- Promotion of cross disciplinary and inter professional approaches to anatomy education;
- Conduct of research into the delivery and efficacy of new teaching approaches;
- Analysis and reporting on national and international trends in anatomy teaching.
- Professor Paul McMenamin, Director of the Centre
- Dr Justin Adams, Senior Lecturer and Deputy Director of the Centre
- A/Professor Norm Eizenberg
- Dr Luca Fiorenza, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Quentin Fogg, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Michelle Lazarus, Senior Lecturer
- Adjunct A/Professor Anthony Buzzard
To apply for demonstrator positions in 2017 please refer to this flyer.
CHAE Advisory Board
The Director of the Centre reports to the Head of the Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology and an Advisory Board which has the following terms of reference:
- To advise the Director and Faculty as to the appropriateness of anatomy content in programs delivered within the Faculty;
- To advise the Director as to the appropriateness of teaching and learning methods employed within the Faculty;
- To advise the Director in respect of major expenditures in respect of anatomical resources;
- To participate in any National or State bodies interested in furthering anatomical education.
The Advisory Board meets 2-3 times per year and reports to the Medical Course Management Committee.
The Advisory Board is made up of:
- Chair (Head of Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology) – Professor John Bertram
- Director of Centre – Professor Paul McMenamin
- Deputy Director of Centre – Dr Justin Adams
- A chair of the Medical Course Management Committee - Professor Michelle Leech
- Two representatives of the Monash Professors of Surgery - Professor Julian Smith (MMC), Professor Jeffrey Rosenfeld (Alfred)
- One nominee of the School of Primary Health Care representing Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy - Dr Prue Morgan (Head, Dept of Physiotherapy)
- One nominee of the Department of Medical Imaging & Radiation Sciences - A/Professor Marilyn Baird
- A fourth or fifth year medical student nominated by MUMUS
- Up to two other members coopted by the chair in consultation with the Advisory Board
- Representative from Monash Malaysian campus (Sunway) - A/Professor Lakshmi Selvaratnam
- Representatives of the Eric Glasgow Foundation - The Honourable Professor Kay Patterson, Dr Sally Cockburn, Chair